Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Lucky Roommate, or The Paranormal Roommate?

My roommate has either astonishing luck, or an almost supernatural intuition for she seems always to be bursting through the front door just as I am plating an extravagant dinner, removing a pie from the oven, or better yet, just adding the finishing touches to the cream filled cup cakes. "It sure smells good in here!" she says beaming as she leans gingerly into the kitchen with the curiosity of a cat. Of course there is always enough stew for a second helping, a mixing bowl ready to be licked clean of batter, or extra plate of sweet and savory salad. Why just this week, as I was removing these scallops from a scolding pan, in walks my roommate, cheeks rosy from the howling wind outside. "Are you hungry?" I asked. " Are you kidding me?" she answered.
Here is what was served:

Salty and Sweet Pan Seared Scallops with and Arugula, Fennel, and basil salad in a Pomegranate Dressing garnished with Squash Seeds, Leeks, and Kiwi...






Sweet Potato and Acorn Squash Soup, with Cardamom, Leeks, and Toasted Squash Seeds...







and for dessert, Black Pepper Cookies with Pine Nuts.

No comments: