Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Pros and Cons

When comparing two items, it is important that the comparer carefully consider the pros and cons of each item. Thankfully, in my case, I am comparing ice creams, and not something unappealing like canned beets or hostess fruit pies.
Let us start with Ben and Jerry's.

Pros:

1. Its free Cone Day.
2. Its already made.
3. It's only one serving (so I won't stuff myself later.)

Cons:

1. It's only one serving (so I won't have a chance to stuff myself later.)
2. You have to choose from a set list of flavors.
3. The waiting.


And what about making a fresh batch of the ice cream from The Perfect Scoop?

Pros:

1. You can read and pronounce all the ingredients.
2. You can choose from a list of adventurous flavors.
3. You can improvise - I added ginger to the Super Lemon Ice Cream, and melon to the
Ginger Ice Cream.

Cons:

1. The effort
2. The mess
3. The waiting




As it turns out, I can't compare Ben and Jerry's and David Lebovitz' ice creams because to be honest, I didn't have the patience to wait on that long-ass line. Sure everyone looked like they were having fun, but I had been dreaming of my free scoop all day long, I hadn't eaten all day, and just around the corner was an ice cream place I have been waiting to try.





There were no long lines at Sundaes and Cones, and within moments I was sampling flavors from their selection of classic and some more unusual flavors (wasabi/poppy seed.) I ordered a cone with one scoop of Mocha Chip, and one scoop of Creamy Ginger. Sorry Ben, sorry Jerry:(







Though I did spoiled the proposed contest, I still felt the need to draw some kind of conclusion about store scooped and homemade ice creams. So when I got home I whipped up a batch of Super Lemon Ice Cream, adding a bit of ginger for good measure.
After two ice cream shops and a batch of homemade - the life of a food blogger is not easy - what does this peasant have to say about the difference between store-bought and home churned ice cream? I must say that, as you don't have to wait on an insanely long line for them, they both have their charm.

1 comment:

Vivian said...

I must say,first your video got me hungry for ice cream. I had to go to my freezer and have a scoop of homemade sweet potato ice cream with glazed pecans.Your cons do not work for me.#1 even though its only one serving,I would find more, if I wanted.#2 I would most always have a second scoop(even if I had to pay)#3 I have no rules about one serving,sadly.
Your lemon ginger Ice looks so, so, so, good. Here I go again.