Saturday, January 20, 2007

Dismal Den of Misery Focaccia with Mango and Parmesan

It is day three of my cup cake-detox and already I feel as though it has been three months. Every morning I wake up with a wonderful idea for a cup cake then remember, it will have to go unrealized due to my ‘problem.’ My cup cake pans lay discarded on the kitchen shelves, calling to me sorrowfully to put them to good use. My measuring cups hang on the wall dejected and mournful of a once serviceable existence. Unaware of my struggle, my bittersweet Verona, Scharffenberger, and Droste tragically wait in the cloistered darkness of the pantry awaiting release. My hiatus from cup cake making has turned my once cheerful kitchen into a dismal den of misery and grief.



This is how I console myself:

Focaccia with Tomato, Mango, Caramelized Onion, Parmesan, and Lemon Zest

(1 large or 2 small)

The Bread:
1 envelope yeast
1 tsp - sugar
1 tsp - salt
1/2 cup - warm water
1/2 cup - tepid water
1/2 cup - olive oil
2 cups - flour

1.) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Mix sugar with warm water and sprinkle with envelope of yeast. Wait 10min.
2.) When the yeast is proofing (fizzing) mix in olive oil, tepid water, and salt. Stir.
3.) Add 3/4 of a cup of flour to the yeast mixture and beat with a wooden spoon for three min.
4.) Slowly mix in the remaining flour, kneading with your hands when mixture becomes too thick for spoon. (if the dough feels to dry, add a splash of olive oil, if it fells too wet, add a sprinkle of flour.)
5.) Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth, and store in a warm spot for 30min.
6.) Remove dough from bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Shape into one large disc, or two small, pinching and pressing with your fingers.
7.) Place on a oiled pan and bake for 3-8 min or until lightly browned.
8.) Place topping on foccaccia and bake for 3-4 more min.

The Toppings:
1 can tomatoes
1 mango, lightly steamed and cut into slices
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 Vidalia onion, sliced and caramelized with garlic and olive oil
zest from one lemon.

2 comments:

Marce said...

hahahaha hilarious video. I´d say you should surrender ;)

Madeline said...

Unfortunately that would entail that I surrender my waistline. Truth be told, I am not really giving up cup cakes; that would be madness! I am curious, however, to see if I am able to get through one week without them. God I’m so sad.