Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Cupcake Payoff


There has been an interesting development in the early morning construction next door. At 8am this morning I found myself laying in bed awake. I was annoyed at first thinking to myself, damned construction, and then I realized, it was silent. I looked out my window to find not a single contractor at work. Anticipating its daily nerve pummeling, my body must have attempted to preempted the assault by waking me with a little burst of adrenaline. However, as it turned out, there was no pummeling/construction planned.

Hesitantly, I climbed back into bed and drifted back to sleep. At 10am, my normal waking hour, I was awaken by the construction noises I had become oh so familiar with over the past week. Now, I know I said that I would have a little chat with these boys and offer them cupcakes to keep quiet until 10am, but I never did muster up the nerve to try my little plan, yet it is almost as though they were aware of my scheme. Why is it that they were now accommodating my subliminal request? Could it be that one of these contractors in an avid reader of The Gourmet Peasant? Will these guys be expecting a cupcake payoff? Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into...

2 comments:

Erin S. said...

I never thought of a food bribe as a way to deal with my next door construction workers--mine have been in action for 3!! years and I'm moving away before they actually finish the building. I say they don't get cupcakes until they stay silent for at least 3 days :) Good luck!

Madeline said...

3 years! I better start looking for a new apartment. Then again, with my luck, construction would start the day after I move in. There's no escape I suppose.