Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Texturally Challenged

All little kids like Peanut Butter and Jelly right? Wrong. When I was a little girl I was wild about Peanut Butter and could not seem to get enough of it, but was in fact scared of Jelly. You see, as a young girl I was what you might call texturally challenged in the eating department, anything too slimy on my plate and I was liable to cry. My slimy food issue was further complicated by my severe sensitivity to B-movie horror flicks and after seeing the 1958 version of The Blob, I vowed to never ever to eat that menacing gelatinous fruit compound we call Jelly.
No matter how hard parents and family members tried to convince me of the faultless attributes of fruit preserves, I held my ground and turned my nose to the stuff. As my friends easily munched away on their PB&Js, I would struggle through my pasty Peanut Butter sandwich, as it would stick to the ruff of my mouth without the aid or lubrication of grape jelly.

As an adult I have fully recovered from my fear of Jelly. And thank goodness I did, otherwise I would not have never thought to make this PB&J Ice Cream and Sorbet Swirl.
I am still working out a few minor kinks in the recipe, but this combination of Peanut Butter Ice Cream and Grape Sorbet sure is a nice way to cool off in a heat wave.

No comments: