Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Last Year's Trash

When I arrived at the Laundromat last week, I was surprised to find it packed full of people - not usually the case on a weekday morning. "Everyone wants to get their laundry done for the New Year" said the owner. Apparently having all your laundry done before the New Year is an established New Years tradition, one that I had never heard of before, "I never knew about it either till I had this place." Well, what do I know about the laundry business...

What I do know is that i have a little New Years tradition of my own that takes place in the kitchen. Every New Years, once all the celebrating, and in my case, eating is over with, I open up the fridge and clean out the heaps of leftover food that have piled up over the holidays.
Moldy cranberry sauce, smelly brisket, mushy vegetables, and unrecognizable substances are all yanked, tossed in a garbage bag, and taken out like last year's trash. As far a traditions go, its not too lavish, and hardly original, but it makes me feel better about the coming year. A kind of cleaning out of the closets if you will.
It is not until the last vegetable drawer is scrubbed and placed back in the fridge, that I feel 100% about the year to come.
Have any New Years traditions/superstitions of your own?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last Year's Trash... New Year's... rotten veggies and cranberry sauce!

Pink of Perfection said...

I hope you kept all that wine that was in the refrigerator door! :)

Anonymous said...

Look at that selection of eggs! Enviable.

Madeline said...

Well, my boyfriend owned four chickens at the time. Never a shortage of eggs in my house.