Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Let Them Eat (chocolate) Cake

After a few failed shopping attempts I was beginning to panic about what to get my roommate for her upcoming birthday. In the department of clothing/accessories we could not be more different and, her being a Virgo and me a Pisces, we existed on opposite ends of the zodiac spectrum. After day three of dragging myself home empty handed I finally decided to focus on one of the few , but never the less important, things we have in common namely, chocolate.

At a very young age I learned that chocolate cake rarely ever disappoints its recipients and so on the morning of her birthday off I marched to the grocery store to pick up some last minute ingredients. On my way home I planned all the extravagant ways I could dress a chocolate cake, marshmallow icing, vanilla and chocolate swirl, mint chocolate ganache. My stomach was rolling over with anticipation.

Unfortunately I was not quit on top of things and used to little butter and mistook my baking powder for baking soda. The results were fare from edible. The cake was burnt on the outside, and liquid inside.
Take two however, proved a success and I had just enough butter left over for the frosting. I decided to keep it simple and cover the cake in chocolate icing. Sadly, due to my roommate's and my conflicting schedule I was unable to present the cake to her myself, though something tells me that she enjoyed a healthy slice of it for dessert that night, and perhaps another for breakfast the next day, and most likely for lunch as well.

1 comment:

Vivian said...

You really made a come back the second time around. That cake is a real winner. I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks. Lucky roommate.